Legislative Briefing Document
The Legislative Briefing Document is a compilation of one-page documents describing the issues on our legislative agenda: The Credit Union Value Proposition (Tax Status), Reducing Regulatory Burden (including Examination Fairness and Privacy Notifications), and Charter Enhancements (Capital Reform and Member Business Lending). These documents are designed to be leave-behinds in Congressional offices.
90 Second Talking Points
The 90 Second Talking Points contains the major message points on each
of the issues on one page (when printed on two-sides). This document is
designed to be a good cheat sheet for each of our issues.
Congressional Meeting Outline
This document is designed to go step-by-step through the issues to raise in a Congressional meeting.
Basic Info on Credit Unions
This document is high level overview of the credit union system. It is designed to be left-behind in a Congressional office.
Capitol Hill Do’s & Don’ts
This document is a list of reminders about how to conduct and what to expect during Congressional office visits. A lot of the information in this document is common sense, but it is also a good reminder for everyone before going to the Hill.
The Value of the Credit Union Tax Status
- Credit Union Value Proposition Talking Points
- 06/13 Senate Finance Committee Options Paper Senate Finance Committee releases Options Paper on Tax-Exempt Organizations and Charitable Giving
- Credit Union Tax Exemption Analysis – Short Summary
- Credit Union Tax Exemption Analysis – Full Document
- Straight to the Point: Credit Unions are the Best Option For Consumers to Conduct Their Financial Services
- State-by-State Data on the Benefits of Credit Union Membership
- CU vs. Bank Comparisons
- Letter from Bill Cheney to the members of the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board regarding the statements regarding the credit union tax exemption in their report on tax reform options. (09/01/10)
- Letter from Bill Cheney to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner responding to a letter sent by the Independent Community Bankers of America regarding the NCUA's corporate credit union rule and legacy asset plan. (10/07/10)
- Letter from NCUA Chairman Debbie Matz to Bill Cheney Regarding the Credit Union Tax Status (11/29/10)
- Letter Regarding Hearing on "Public Charity Organizational Issues, Unrelated Business Income Tax, and the Revised Form 990."
- Regulatory Burden Talking Points
- Testimony of Pamela Stephens, President and CEO of Security One Federal Credit Union - 4/10/13
House Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
- Privacy Notification Talking Points
- Letter of Support for H.R. 749, the Eliminate Privacy Notice Confusion Act
- Examination Fairness Talking Points
- CUNA Testimony in support of H.R. 3461, the Financial Institution Examination Fairness and Reform Act
- Additional Information Regarding H.R. 3461
Housing Finance Reform
- Housing Finance Reform Talking Points
- Testimony of Rod Staatz, President and CEO of SECU of Maryland, on behalf of CUNA, before the Senate Banking Committee Hearing on Housing Finance Reform (06/28/11)
- Supplemental Capital Talking Points
- Letter from Bill Cheney to Representatives Peter King and Representatives Brad Sherman in support of Supplemental Capital Legislation.
- CUNA's Supplemental Capital White Paper
- Supplemental Capital Explaination Power Point
- Letter from NCUA Chairman Debbie Matz to House Financial Services Committee Chairman Spencer Bachus Regarding the Need for Credit Union Capital Reform
Member Business Lending – Job Creation Initiative
- Member Business Lending Talking Points
- Letter from Bill Cheney to Representatives Ed Royce and Carolyn McCarthy in support of Member Business Lending legislation.
- Small Business Coalition Letter of Support
- MBL Objection Response Summary
- MBL Objection Response - Full Analysis
- Setting the Record Straight
- Setting the Record Straight Again
- Letter of Support for Increasing the Credit Union MBL from Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner
- National Small Business Association Study
- State-by-State Numbers
- Increasing Importance of Credit Unions in Small Business Lending
- Additional Materials