MADISON, Wis. (1/20/12)--World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU) has opened online registration for its annual World Credit Union Conference, July 15-18 in Gdańsk, Poland.
More than 1,500 credit union executives and volunteers from more than 50 countries are expected to attend this year's conference.
Host city Gdańsk is home to the historic Solidarity movement, which freed Poland from communism--as well as the country's credit union system, considered to be one of the fastest-growing and most advanced in the world, said WOCCU. Tradition combines with progress to create an educational environment for charting the credit union movement's course in facing a challenging future, WOCCU said.
Among speakers on the agenda are:
- Professor Youngme Moon, senior associate dean and chair of the Harvard Business School's Master's in Business Administration program, whose new book, Different: Escaping the Competitive Herd, chronicles the intersection of business, branding and culture in ways that help enterprises such as credit unions stand out from the crowd of competitors.
- Financial services technology expert Brett King, author of the bestselling book Bank 2.0 and founder of Movenbank, the first widespread mobile bank in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. King will discuss ideas from his new book, Bank 2.1, to be released later this year.
Breakout sessions featuring international speakers will focus on topics in four educational tracks:
- Leadership and strategy;
- Credit unions on the frontier;
- Compliance, regulation and political affairs; and
- Technology and innovation.
Other activities featured at the conference include:
Global Women's Leadership Forum. The annual networking and educational gathering of the Global Women's Leadership Network, the world's only peer-to-peer credit union women's leadership organization, will meet July 14–15, prior to the conference. For more information, use the link. (Separate fee applies.)
WOCCU Young Credit Union People (WYCUP) program. The annual educational and networking event for credit union professionals age 35 and under will award educational scholarships to five participants for the 2013 conference. The WYCUP program begins July 15 and runs concurrently with the conference. For more information, use the link.
Worldwide Foundation for Credit Unions Golf Tournament. Both men and women can play 18 holes on one of Poland's golf courses while raising money for global credit union development. The event is July 14. For more information, use the link. (Separate fee applies.)
For more information about the educational and networking credit union event this year, use the link.