Archive Links

Consumer Archive
CU System Archive
Market Archive
Products Archive
Washington Archive

News Now

CU System
CU employee saves branch from fire
FRONT ROYAL, Va. (6/21/10)--A quick-thinking credit union employee saved a Front Royal (Va.) CU branch from a fire that was triggered by faulty wiring connected to an exhaust fan in the bathroom. On Wednesday, around noon, a credit union employee entered the women’s restroom at the credit union and heard a small popping sound when she turned the lights on, said Kim Darr, Front Royal CEO. The exhaust fan caught fire, and the employee used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. “By doing that, she saved the building,” Darr said. “We’re thankful for her quick response, which saved the credit union. We’re glad nobody was hurt.” The building was then evacuated, and the credit union called 911. Front Royal was closed for the remainder of the day. Members were served at Front Royal’s other branch, located a mile down the road. No members were in the credit union at the time of the fire. About eight employees were in the building, Darr said. The bathroom sustained some damage from the fire, but most of it has been cleaned up, Darr said. Ceiling tiles and linoleum need to be replaced because the fan fell on the floor when it caught fire. “We’re very lucky,” Darr said. “It could have been a lot worse.” Front Royal CU has $46 million in assets.


RSS print
News Now LiveWire
Expanded ATM services at branches attractive to members: @CFIGroup. See #NewsNow Friday
3 hours ago
#FinCEN imposes civil money penalty against NJ's BPI money services co. for #BSA violations http://t.co/WnDzOcxdOZ
6 hours ago
.@ABCULCUs give hat tip to America's #100MM #creditunion milestone http://t.co/q8yo6Lx3LM
6 hours ago
The @CFPB has announced new Credit Union Advisory Council members, as well as other senior leaders, advisory board and council members.
7 hours ago
GDP expanded 4.2% on an annualized basis in 2Q according to Bureau of Economic Analysis
8 hours ago