MILWAUKIE, Ore. (7/30/12)--More than 66,000 public votes were cast on Milwaukie, Ore.-based Avantis CU's Facebook page and website to prioritize and allocate its $50,000 Advantis Grow Community Fund grants to nonprofits.
The public was asked to vote on 12 proposed projects aimed at providing long-term benefits to the community.
Based on the votes, the $928 million asset credit union allocated seven grants to help fund:
- A shelter for abused women and children;
- Equipment for serving hot meals to those in need;
- Computers to deliver educational services to more than 80 at-risk children;
- Shower facilities for more than 2,400 homeless people at a rescue mission;
- New computers to better serve at-risk youth with more robust mentorships;
- Home-energy diagnostic tools to find solutions for low-income and disabled homeowners; and
- Equipment for pet food distribution to thousands of low-income pet owners.