MADISON, Wis. (11/25/13)--Credit unions and credit union organizations nationwide are collecting food and volunteering their time to bring comfort to their neighbors during the Thanksgiving holiday.
| At a ceremony at Good Shepherd Food Bank's Brewer, Maine, location, representatives from Maine's credit unions present a check to fund the Food Mobile and purchase 8,000 Thanksgiving meals. (Photo provided by Maine Credit Union League)|
Among the credit unions that are serving their local communities:
- Maine Credit Unions' Campaign for Ending Hunger celebrated its partnership with the Good Shepherd Food Bank with a contribution that will help purchase 8,000 Thanksgiving meals for Maine people and their families across the state.
- Veridian CU, Waterloo, Iowa, is preparing for the annual Mike and Leona Adams Thanksgiving Dinner. Union retirees and credit union volunteers expect to feed about 1,000 people seeking a free hot meal and companionship. The Northeast Iowa Agency on Aging will deliver 350 dinners to its current Meals on Wheels recipients.
- Several Green Bay area credit unions are participating in the Stock the Shelves campaign to assist local food pantries. Participating credit unions include Fox Communities CU, Community First CU, Appleton; Harbor CU, Green Bay; PCM CU, Green Bay; Horizon Community CU, Green Bay, Northern Paper Mill CU, Green Bay, and Schneider Community CU, Green Bay.
- Employees of RTN FCU, Waltham, Mass., are holding food drives and other activities to help families in local communities. RTN's Employees Community Outreach Committee's Thanksgiving activities this year include: collecting Thanksgiving food items for eight Waltham families at RTN's Waltham branch; holding a Thanksgiving food collection for needy families in Amesbury, Danvers and Lawrence through RTN branches in those communities; holding a Thanksgiving non-perishable food collection for the Brookline Food Pantry through the Brookline branch; and holding a toy drive to Benefit the Wish Project in Lowell through RTN's Tewksbury branch.
America's Christian CU, Glendora, Calif., is partnering with the City of Glendora and the Glendora Community Coordinating Council in the annual Holiday Basket Program. During the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons each year, Glendora's Holiday Basket Program provides food baskets for over 400 families in need in Glendora and surrounding communities.
| Security Service FCU, San Antonio, kicked off the annual Food4SA campaign Nov. 1 with a $30,000 donation to the San Antonio Food Bank. From left, Art De Leon, San Antonio Food Bank; Laura Cohrs, SSFCU Volunteer Corps; Jennifer Carter, San Antonio Food Bank; Marinda Noe and Amy Cardenas, SSFCU Volunteer Corps. (Photo provided by Security Service FCU)|
- On Nov. 9, Citizens FCU, Midland, Texas, and the West Texas Food Bank teamed up to fill a truck with donated food as part of the annual "Stuff the Truck" event. The event was created to allow the community to donate canned food items to the West Texas Food Bank, which is in need of food assistance, especially during the busy holidays, said the Cornerstone Credit Union League (Leaguer Nov. 13).
- Security Service FCU, San Antonio, kicked off the annual Food4SA campaign Nov. 1 with a $30,000 donation to the San Antonio Food Bank.
- On November 14, Heritage Family Credit Union teamed up with Northwest Elementary School in Rutland to deliver 7,680 items to the Salvation Army for the Stuff-A-Bus campaign. A check for $1,540 was also presented to the Salvantion Army, said the Assocation of Vermont Credit Unions (Newslines Express Nov. 22).
- IC FCU, Fitchburg, Mass., donated $2,500 to the Worcester County Food Bank to support its hunger-relief efforts during the holiday season.