MADISON, Wis. (1/29/13)--The Filene Research Institute's Cooperative Trust has selected 19 young credit union leaders to "crash" the Credit Union National Association's Governmental Affairs Conference, Feb. 24-28 in Washington, D.C.
The "crashers" will also attend a pre-conference design thinking workshop led by Brent Dixon, founder of Crash the GAC and The Cooperative Trust. The new workshop will focus on how to innovate around small-business lending. Design thinking is a process that uses human-centered research, pattern recognition and rapid prototyping to solve problems.
As part of the workshop, crashers will interview young Washington, D.C., area entrepreneurs about their needs.
The 2013 Crash the GAC celebrates its fourth year. CUNA's Center for Professional Development again has provided full scholarships for Crashers to attend.
Crash the GAC is a project of The Cooperative Trust is a training and development community for young credit union professionals. It began as a Filene project and is supported by multiple industry partners. CUNA Mutual Group serves as the Trust's title sponsor and PSCU, St. Petersburg, Fla., also provides support.
The 2013 Crashers are:
- Danielle Frawley, vice president, marketing and communications, Fort Community CU, Fort Atkinson, Wis.;
- Jennifer Tebbe, eServices branch manager, Greater Iowa CU, Ames, Iowa;
- Chris Friederich, senior analyst, CUNA Mutual Group, Madison, Wis.;
- Brittany Hilton, marketing specialist, Mid-Atlantic FCU, Germantown, Md.;
- Justin Mouzoukos, assistant vice president, finance, Mazuma CU, Kansas City, Mo.;
- Amanda Brenneman, business development officer, Maps CU, Salem, Ore.;
- Chad Holz, manager, product portfolio strategy, University FCU, Austin, Texas;
- Ashley Dietz, marketing coordinator, City County CU, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.;
- Joshua Smith, advocacy officer, SchoolsFirst FCU, Santa Ana, Calif.;
- Blake Woods, public relations and new media manager, Lake Trust CU, Lansing, Mich.;
- Mitchell Michiels, financial architect, Best Advantage CU, Brillion, Wis.;
- Erin Ballard, communications coordinator, AmeriCU, Rome, N.Y.;
- Sean Flynn, assistance vice president, consumer lending, GTE Financial, Tampa, Fla.;
- Elizabeth Weger, marketing specialist, Pathways Financial CU, Columbus, Ohio;
- Lindsay Estok, branch manager, Seasons FCU, Middletontown, Conn.;
- Olivia Rockers, marketing specialist, Iowa CU League, Des Moines, Iowa;
- Ashley Pierce, accounting assistant, A+ FCU, Austin, Texas;
- Meghan Storck, business development specialist, First Florida CU, Jacksonville, Fla.; and
- James Marshall, marketing manager, Plane Saver CU, London, U.K.
Speaker of the House Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio), credit union champions Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.), Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.) and Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) are among the speakers scheduled for the 2013 GAC.
House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas), House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), House Financial Services Committee senior member Spencer Bachus (R-Ala.), House Financial Services Committee member Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.) are also on the GAC speaking schedule.