MADISON, Wis. (4/17/13)--The deadline for applications for U.S. credit union professionals to apply for a two-week credit union internship in Costa Rica has been extended to April 30, said the World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU).
The internships are for June 9-22 and are through WOCCU's International Credit Union Leadership Program. WOCCU is looking for 12 candidates to participate in the scholarship program.
Those eligible to apply include staff or board members from credit unions, leagues, corporate credit unions, the Credit Union National Association, CUNA Mutual Group and credit union service organizations. World Council employees or board members are not eligible.
In the program, participants will learn how another country's credit unions reach underserved populations and support communities through member education and special projects, and learn about ways to better serve an increasingly diverse membership, including youth, businesses, low-income and Hispanic members.
Other criteria applicants must meet:
- Demonstrate personal commitment and ability to significantly influence the credit union;
- Show leadership and entrepreneurial skills and demonstrate how personal initiative has contributed to the credit union's development;
- Exhibit the potential to advance the national or international credit union system through initiatives that would help development of applicant's community;
- Be available to travel on the specific dates in the program;
- Have a career trajectory within the credit union industry; and
- Have intermediate Spanish-language skills (ideal but not necessary).
The program provides each participant with credit union placement, lodging with a host family, meals and communication stipends, local transportation and traveler's insurance. Sponsoring U.S. credit unions must cover airfare of roughly $950. For details, use the link.