TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (8/13/12)--All individuals and businesses that finance vehicles to be titled in Florida must be electronically connected by Jan. 1 to Florida's Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) to perfect their liens and receive titles electronically through the state's Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) program.
Florida House Bill 1223, passed during the 2012 legislative session, requires lienholders to electronically transmit liens and lien satisfactions to the department. The law requires mandatory participation by lenders, with the exception of individual lienholders and businesses that are not normally involved in financing vehicles. Credit unions are included.
Lenders must contract with a Florida DHMSV-approved service provider to make the ELT connection with DHMSV.
The list of providers includes:
- American Security Insurance Co., Duluth, Ga.;
- Auto Data Direct Inc., Tallahassee, Fla.;
- Decision Dynamics Inc., Lexington, S.C.;
- FDI, Sacramento, Calif.;
- PDP Group Inc., Hunt Valley, Md.;
- VinTek, Philadelphia;
- Title Technologies Inc., Dallas (pending approval); and
- Florida ELT, Miami Springs, Fla. (pending approval).
Last week it was announced that VINtek would provide ELT services in Wisconsin. To see the News Now
story, use the link.