LAS VEGAS (10/4/13)--Two dozen credit unions from the U.S. and Canada with a common bond--serving healthcare organizations--gathered in Las Vegas Sept. 18-20 for the annual conference of the Healthcare Credit Union Association.
The credit unions represent and serve all types of hospitals, healthcare networks and their employees.
The conference theme was Opportunity Screams, taken from the title of keynote speaker Tom Asacker's book, "Opportunity Screams: Unlocking Hearts and Minds in Today's Idea Economy."
- Chair, Charlie Collura, CEO of Healthcare and Municipal Employees' CU, Ontario, Canada;
- Vice chair, Shirley Cate, president/CEO of Providence FCU, Milwaukie, Ore.;
- Secretary, Linda White, CEO of United Health CU, Burlingame, Calif.;
- Treasurer, Todd Nelson, senior vice president of HealthCare Associates CU, Naperville, Ill.; and
- Director at large, John Saatela, CEO of CarePoint FCU, Anaheim, Calif.
Attendees from HCUA's nearly 50 member credit unions heard interactive question and answer sessions that included an update from Martha Ninichuk of the National Credit Union Administration's Office of Small Credit Union Initiatives; a regional HCUA meeting led by Carol Bayreuther, CEO of Hartford (Conn.) Healthcare FCU; and a session on "Marketing in Healthcare," presented by Robert York, chief marketing officer of CalCom FCU, Torrance, Calif.