NEW YORK (1/11/12)--Alternatives FCU, Ithaca, N.Y., is at the top of the inaugural list of the Top 10 Community-oriented Credit Unions of 2011, presented by NerdWallet.com, a personal finance credit card search website.
Alternatives was No. 1 for its support of small businesses, said the website, which sought to list credit unions who gave gone far above their mandate to provide not-for-profit financial services.
"2011's community-oriented credit unions are outstanding examples of how credit unions enrich the lives of their members and more," said NerdWallet CEO and founder Tim Chen. "Profits are returned to members, so that money stays local; but on top of that, these institutions truly make an investment in their communities," he added.
In addition to Alternatives Federal, the top credit unions on the list were:
- Cooperative FCU, Woodridge, N.Y., for promoting equality;
- Hope CU, Clarksburg, W. Va., for its community infrastructure support;
- ASI FCU, Harahan, La., for its new microloan program;
- Latino Community CU, Durham, N.C., for its outreach to at-risk populations;
- Family Trust CU, Rock Hill, S.C., for its personalized financial counseling services;
- Alliant CU, Dubuque, Iowa, for its loan assistance program;
- Self-Help CU, Durham, N.C., for its innovative microbranch;
- Generations FCU, San Antonio, for its online financial literacy resources; and
- Freedom First, Roanoke, Va., for its work supporting local nonprofits.