MADISON, Wis. (11/2/12)-
Flooding of New York City's tunnel--including the Battery Tunnel here--from Superstorm Sandy's storm surge kept many commuters at home part of the week. CUNA Strategic Services provider Agility Recovery, a business continuity firm, worked with impacted credit unions and other businesses in the area.
More and more credit unions that had been closed since Superstorm Sandy swept through the East Coast and Mid-Atlantic states earlier this week are beginning to open for business.
Credit unions in New Jersey and New York, which bore the brunt of the storm surge and flooding damages, were starting to assess the damages and report into their leagues, their insurance agencies and regulators of their condition (See related News Now
story: Sandy so far: 25 CUs damaged, CUAid raises $65,000).
In New York, Bethpage FCU reported on its website Thursday that its telephone service is available but it is experiencing high call volumes. These branches have power and are open: Bay Shore, Bay Shore King Kullen, Bethpage, Central Islip, Commack King Kullen, Elkmont, Farmingdale, Freeport, Hempstead, Huntington, Levittown, Lynbrook, North Babylon, Patchoque, Port Jefferson, Riverhead, Seaford and West Babylon, and Westbury. All branches will close at normal hours, except Bay Shore King Kullen, Commack King Kullen, Elmont and Levittown, which will close at 5 p.m.
Bethpage said it will waive late fees on loan payments and insufficient fund fees for deposit accounts for members affected by the storm.
Power outages are the biggest problem for most credit unions, their employees, volunteers and members in the states affected by the storm Monday and Tuesday. Here is a look at New York City, with large areas unlit as a result of the storm.
Although the New Jersey Credit Union League offices are closed, staff are working remotely to serve member credit unions. It is issuing credit union status updates twice a day. At 5 p.m. ET Thursday, here was the status that credit unions reported to the league:
- 1st Bergen FCU--Will be open from noon to 6 p.m. today at its Hackensack location. Equipment and facility OK, but had no power.
- ADP FCU--Roseland office open and operational.
- Affinity FCU--Following branches will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Basking Ridge, Piscataway, Cedar Knolls, Flemington, Hillsborough, Edison (all other branches remain closed). Online Banking is unavailable, but the credit union is working to restore it as quickly as possible. Affinity's Casino Night, scheduled to take place last night, was postponed. Information will be communicated once available.
- Atlantic FCU--Kenilworth office is without power; will open once power is restored.
- Bay Atlantic FCU--Operational and all systems are functioning properly. Used disaster recovery/business continuity (DR/BC) plans to service members on Monday.
- Bridgeton Onized FCU--Open but no e-mail. Used DR/BC plans to service members on Monday.
- Central Jersey FCU--Woodbridge office open and fully operational; South Plainfield office closed until power is restored.
Community Financial Services FCU--Credit union has no power and will reopen when power is restored. All back office transactions including ACH, share draft and ATM are being processes. Online banking and bill pay are also up and running.
Walking and driving in New York City became impossible with the flooding in some areas in Lower Manhattan, the city's financial district. Pictured is the flooding near the city's Freedom Tower. (Photos by Agility Recovery)
- Credit Union of New Jersey--Operational at its main office and branch in Ewing as well at its Lafayette Branch and Willingboro Branch.
- Essex County Teachers FCU--Credit union has power, phone, and DP communications; reported that many shared branching CUs aren't available on the network, communicated these issues to NCUA.
- Financial Resources FCU--Bridgewater, N.J., branch was open until 3 p.m. Thursday, but all other New Jersey branches remained closed. Experienced power and telecommunications outages,but otherwise suffered little to no damage. All locations outside of the state are operational and processing normally otherwise. The credit union's website, mobile, mobile apps, text messaging and other electronic services are up and running. Its 800 number is not operational.
- First Financial FCU--Neptune andToms River Branches will be open today at 9 a.m. with limited service.
- Hamilton Horizons FCU--Closed due to power outage. All back office transactions, including auto clearinghouse (ACH), checking and ATM are still operating. Power is estimated to be up on Monday.
- Garden Savings FCU--Parsippany branch re-opened; Newark branch without power and is closed.
- Jersey Central--Cranford office open.
- Jersey Shore FCU--All offices are fully operational.
- McGraw-Hill FCU--2 Penn Plaza, 1221 Ave. of the Americas, and East Windsor branches are now open and operating under normal business hours. 55 Water St. branch is still closed due to the forced evacuation of the building. The credit union has reestablished its phone communications and is continuing to monitor Online Banking/Bill Payment and Mobile Banking and Shared Branching locations, which are currently offline.
- MidState FCU--CU has remained closed due to thefts and no power in Carteret; it is posting remotely all ACH drafts, etc., and will attempt to hire off duty police to sit with the staff so that it can open today.
- North Jersey FCU--All branches open.
- Parlin DuPont FCU--Now has power but no phone/Internet; making do with file transfers and PBF.
- Picatinny FCU--Main branch in Rockaway and Denville branch are fully operational. The arsenal had a delayed opening of noon yesterday and the Mt. Olive branch is closed due to power outage. The credit union has allowed the league Business Consultant Angel Santos to work at the Rockaway office for the time being.
- Rancocas FCU--Open and operational.
- Renaissance CDCU--Credit union has been shut down without power, Internet access, phones, and so forth since Monday. It hopes the power will be back on in the area of the credit union by the end of the day so it can begin processing ACH, share drafts and ATMs.
- Rutgers FCU--Busch is open, College Ave. is running on a limited schedule, Newark is closed. All services are available.
- United Teletech FCU--Tinton Falls branch is currently open for business. Due to local curfews, the credit union has modified hours (lobby open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., drive-up from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). All other locations are closed pending the restoration of power to those locations.
- West Orange Municipal FCU--It has a generator and should be able to continue operations with little interruption going forward.
- XCEL FCU--Bloomfield, N.J. office is OK, but most branch staff depend on PATH and New York subways for transportation. Fed Plaza branch in Manhattan and Journal Square branch in Jersey City will remain closed until further notice. The branch at 3680 Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City is open. All ACH and share drafts were posted remotely each day.