COLUMBIA, S.C. (3/30/12)--Four South Carolina regional credit union chapters have selected candidates for the inaugural South Carolina Credit Union League (SCCUL) Palmetto Protégé Competition, which recognizes young professionals and the opportunities credit unions provide them.
These finalists will compete for the Palmetto Protégé position on April 20 during the 2012 SCCUL Annual Meeting in Myrtle Beach:
- Patricia Bivens, CPM FCU, North Charleston, representing the Charleston Area Chapter;
- James "Jay" Montgomery, SAFE FCU, Sumter, Columbia Chapter;
- Ernest "Dizzy" Felkel, SPC CU, Hartsville, Pee Dee Chapter; and
- Katie Matthews, Secured Advantage FCU, Simpsonville, Piedmont Chapter.
The Palmetto Protégé will serve as statewide leader of the league's Young Professional Initiative (YPI) and peer advocate for credit unions. Responsibilities coordinated by the league include:
- Presentations at five chapters on the protégé's background, experience, YPI, and the Palmetto Protégé program;
- Participation in the league's Leadership Conference as a secondary presenter and YPI advocate;
- Facilitator of YPI Roundtables through the remainder of the year; and
- Regular contributions via social media including the league's Facebook page.
The winner will get first choice of three development scholarships, with the remainder available to other state finalists. Scholarships are available for Southeast CUNA Management School, National Youth Involvement Board Annual Conference, and South Carolina Hike the Hill in Washington, D.C.