Members of the Texas 12--a Texas Credit Union League (TCUL) initiative for up-and-coming young credit union professionals under the age of 35--'crashed' the TCUL annual meeting Wednesday. (Photo provided by the Texas Credit Union League)
FARMERS BRANCH, Texas (4/20/12)--Members of the Texas 12 talked about credit union issues with Texas Credit Union League (TCUL) President/CEO Dick Ensweiler Wednesday. The Texas 12 is a new TCUL initiative, involving up-and-coming young credit union professionals under the age of 35.
"We are an aging movement and we need to attract a younger audience," Ensweiler told the group. "To successfully attract younger members, it's important that we have engaged young professionals serving in our movement" (LoneStar Leaguer
TCUL should not dictate what the Texas 12 does, but rather the group members should share their thoughts and ideas for making the credit union movement more relevant to young people, Ensweiler said.
The league, in collaboration with the Filene Research Institute, created the Texas 12 to help catalyze change in the system and spark positive growth in the credit union community.
The Texas 12 also will hold a planning session today, and throughout the three-day conference in Galveston, its members will attend educational sessions, social functions and network with veteran credit union leaders.
The Texas 12 members are:
- Shelby Ames, Liberty (Texas) County Teachers FCU;
- Kelsey Balcaitis, A+ FCU, Austin;
- Doug Bedner, Resource One CU, Dallas;
- Victoria Cline, Neighborhood CU, Dallas;
- Brittany Doering, Family 1st of Texas FCU, Fort Worth;
- Kate Donovan, Texoma Community CU, Wichita Falls;
- Chad Holz, University FCU, Austin;
- Lori Martinez, Houston Fire Fighters FCU;
- Jana Mearns, People's Trust FCU, Houston;
- Casey Moehring, Kelly Community FCU, Tyler;
- Nikki Moore, Space City CU, Houston; and
- Jamaal Dwayne Robinson, New Mt. Zion Baptist Church CU, Dallas.