HARRISBURG, Penn. (3/13/13)--The Pennsylvania Credit Union Association has announced the winners of some of its highest honors, which include the Desjardin Youth Financial Education Award, the Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award, and the Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award.
The awards are named after some of the most prominent names in credit union history. Desjardin, of course, was the co-founder of the Caisses Populaires Desjardins in Canada, a forerunner to North American credit unions. The award honors a core value of credit unions: To assist their members with a better understanding of their finances so that they can make the best decisions possible with their hard-earned money.
The PCUA winners of the first place Desjardins Youth Financial Education Award in their asset categories are:
- HealthCare First CU, Johnstown--$50 million to $150 million in assets;
- Service 1st FCU, Danville--$150 million to $500 million in assets; and
- TruMark Financial CU, Philadelphia region, more than $500 million in assets, and honorable mention for that asset category, Clearview FCU, Moon Township.
The winners of the Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award are:
- First Capital FCU, York--$50 million to $250 million in assets; and
- TruMark Financial CU, Philadelphia region, for $1 billion and more in assets.
The first place winners of the Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award are:
- Keystone United Methodist FCU, Cranberry Township--$5 million to $20 million in assets;
- HealthCare First CU, Johnstown--$50 million to $100 million in assets;
- Tri County Area FCU, Pottstown--$100 million to $200 million in asset;
- Merck Sharp & Dohme FCU, Chalfont--$200 million to $500 million in assets, and honorable mention in that category--Service 1st FCU, Danville;
- For $1 billion and more in assets, first place winner is TruMark Financial CU, Philadelphia Region, and honorable mention goes to American Heritage FCU, Philadelphia; and
- The Chapter award goes to the York Chapter.
The Dora Maxwell Award is part of a national recognition program to honor credit unions for their outstanding efforts in community projects and activities. The Louise Herring Award for Philosophy in Action was established in 1990 to commend credit unions that make exceptional efforts to include credit union philosophy in their daily operations and member service.
The PCUA said the awards will be presented on Friday, May 17, at its Annual Convention in Hershey.