| Click for larger view
As credit unions Unite for Good to get the good word out about the value of credit unions, the Credit Union National Association has succeeded in nabbing credit unions their share of the spotlight among nationwide media the past few weeks.
Since April 1, more than 14 of the nation's most prominent media outlets have featured CUNA and credit unions on topics ranging from student lending, the value of the credit union alternative, member business lending, financing automobiles, CUNA's regulatory agenda and more. That doesn't count the background provided and interviews for upcoming media stories to be released soon or articles generated locally by credit unions and leagues..
"Some believe if the story is not in their local area, it's not important. But it certainly is," said Paul Gentile, CUNA executive vice president of strategic communications and engagement.
| Click for larger view
"Often the local media play off what they see in the national press, so we always want to be sure we shine and are portraying credit unions as the excellent consumer choice that they are," Gentile said.
In May, CUNA and aSmarterChoice.org, the website that provides consumers with information about credit unions and helps them find one to join, were included in these articles, all centering on credit union student lending and CUNA's Student Borrowing Survey:
- The Wall Street Journal Sunday (May 19);
- The Wall Street Journal (May 11)'s Weekend Investor section;
- USA TODAY's Money section "Snapshot" (May 10);
- CNBC.com (May 4); and
- NBC Charlotte/WCNC.com (May 1).
In April, nine prominent media displayed credit unions' value, including:
- MSNBC "Your Business" TV (April 7), in a segment with Gentile on the credit union alternative;
- Reuters (April 12), with CUNA Deputy General Counsel Mary Dunn addressing credit loss reporting standards;
- U.S. News & World Report (April 22), with CUNA Senior Economist Mike Schenk discussing credit union financing for auto loans;
- The Huffington Post (April 23), featuring CUNA's Student Borrowing Survey;
- Fox Business News Online (April 23), featuring Gentile on credit unions' member business lending;
- Loans.org (April 23), with Schenk discussing auto loan activity;
- The Hill (April 24) , in which CUNA's President/CEO Bill Cheney, Executive Vice President of Governmental Affairs John Magill and Dunn discuss too-big-to-fail banks and CUNA's regulatory agenda;
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (April 24), with Gentile discussing CUNA's Student Borrowing Survey; and
- Accounting Web (April 25), CUNA's Student Borrowing Survey.
In March, articles were also featured in CNN.com (March 18); Bloomberg BusinessWeek (March 12); Compliance Week (March 26) Accounting Today (March 19).
The initiatives of CUNA and the state leagues on credit union issues have also been mentioned in numerous regional, state or local articles and broadcast segments and podcasts that have been generated by leagues and credit unions locally.
Creating awareness about credit unions is part of CUNA's Unite for Good campaign to rally credit unions to support the system's strategic vision in which "Americans choose credit unions as their best financial partner. For more information about United for Good and aSmarterChoice.org, use the links.