ALEXANDRIA, Va. (9/28/12)--Details on credit union membership, assets, net worth, earnings and other industry metrics for the first half of 2012 are summarized in the National Credit Union Adminisration's (NCUA) compilation of credit union financial trends.
The NCUA documents notes that, in the first half of 2012:
- The number of federally insured credit unions dropped by 133;
- The number of current credit union members grew by 1,317,199, to total 93.1 million;
- Credit union assets increased $45.95 billion;
- Credit union net worth dollars increased by $4.15 billion, to total $102.41 billion; and
- Shares increased by $41.39 billion, with strong growth in regular shares, share drafts and money market shares.
Click for larger view
The NCUA credit union trend document reflects data that was reported in the NCUA's second quarter call report document, which was released on Aug. 31. The credit union industry's overall performance grew stronger in almost every category during the second quarter of 2012, as charge-offs, bankruptcy filings and loan loss reserves also declined.
The first-half credit union data is broken down into chart form in this latest NCUA release.
For the full NCUA release, use the resource link.