CUNA's NMLS Approved Comprehensive Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) Course
The rules issued by the CFPB pursuant to Dodd-Frank amended Regulation Z require that a loan originator must receive periodic training. This training must cover Federal and State law requirements that relate to the individual loan originator's origination activities.
One way to obtain a safe harbor is for the MLO to receive NMLS-approved training.
CUNA's NMLS-approved training options, self-study and face-to-face, are instructed by PolicyWorks' Michael Christians and covers:
Federal Law and Regulations
- Truth in Lending Act / Regulation Z
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act / Regulation X
- Fair Credit Reporting Act / Regulation V
Ethics, Consumer Protection and Fair Lending
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act / Regulation B
- Fair Housing Act
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act / Regulation C
- Servicemember Civil Relief Act
Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
- Adjustable Rate Mortgages
- Higher Priced Mortgage Loans
- High-Cost Mortgages
Undefined Mortgage Instruction
- Appraisal Requirements
- Flood Insurance
- Private Mortgage Insurance
8 Hour SAFE Comprehensive Mortgage Loan Originator Course #5294*
This NMLS-approved, self-study course is designed specifically for credit unions and meets the continuing education requirements of Reg Z. This course provides MLOs:
8 hours covering six modules
- Federal Laws and Regulations
- Ethics, Consumer Protection and Fair Lending
- Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
- Credit Reports and Credit Scoring
- Additional Information Relevant to Mortgages
- Mortgage Lending Hot Topics
- Quizzes at the conclusion of each module and a final 25 question exam
- Bookmarking capability to pause and return to training anytime
- NMLS credit banking fee is included with purchase
Note: This course is provided through CUNA Professional Development Online (CPD Online) but is not included with membership. A CPD Online username and password is required. New users can start here.
8 Hour SAFE Comprehensive 2015 Mortgage Loan Originator Course #5208*
This onsite course, provided by CUNA and instructed by Michael Christians from PolicyWorks, is hosted by various leagues and credit unions. It meets the continuing education requirements of Reg Z inclusive of (3) hours federal laws & regulations, (3) hours ethics, consumer protection & fair lending, and (2) hours lending standards for the non-traditional mortgage product marketplace.
December 2, 2015 - Baton Rouge, LA
Location: Louisiana USA FCU
For additional information on location, direction, or housing, please contact Theresa Fonseca with the Louisiana Credit Union League at 800-452-7221 x3020.
Please contact your State League if you are not affiliated with the location you choose. Seats are limited.
Interested in hosting Mortgage Loan Originator training?
For additional information regarding hosting Mortgage Loan Originator training, please contact Tracy Blaske, CUNA's Director of Compliance Education at 608-231-4030 or email.
*NMLS Approved Course Provider #1405021
Credit Union National Association • 5710 Mineral Point Road, Madison, WI 53705 • 800 356-9655