Lead members to a stronger financial future
CUNA Financial Counseling Certification Program develops credit union counseling professionals to guide members through future financial situations and enables all credit union staff to become more confident in helping members.
Benefits of the program include:
- Proven financial counseling skills become a part of your credit union's culture
- Written for all staff levels so anyone can offer financial counseling during every member interaction
- Certification satisfies members' needs as they continually look for the value of your credit union
- Differentiates your credit union with certified financial counselors on your team
- Helps members transform the way they deal with money through real-world counseling
Choose the option that works best for you. You can mix and match attending CUNA Certified Financial Counselor School
with the self-study formats. It's your choice
to ensure you'll learn in the best environment for you!
The American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation
Service (ACE Credit) has evaluated and recommended college credit for
CUNA Financial Counseling Certification Program. For more
information, visit ACE Credit's website.
CUNA Certified Financial Counselor School
Attendees will leave this school prepared to meet all the tough questions head on and guide members safely through any financial hardship.
Three parts are available to provide knowledge across all areas of financial counseling. Successfully complete on-site exams to work towards earning your CUNA Certified Credit Union Financial Counselor (CCUFC) designation.
- Part 1: Learn to properly assess members’ current financial situation and explore strategies that will get those members back on track to financial independence.
- Part 2: Educate your members on the underlying causes of potential financial difficulties, as well as effective expense-monitoring.
- Update: Survey the most current techniques and theories in financial counseling and keep your practices up-to-date. Attend to recertify your designation.
CUNA Certified Financial Counselor eSchool
Part 1: August 5-September 23, 2014 (8, 1.5 hour sessions)
Part 2: October 7-November 24, 2014 (8, 1.5 hour sessions)
Upon completing the entire eSchool, you'll have the opportunity to arrange a proctored exam to complete part 1 of the certification!
By attending the eSchool, your entire credit union has access to the recorded sessions for six months. Get access to this and all eSchools, webinars and audios with CUNA Training Bundle.
Earn your Credit Union Financial Counseling Certification right at your credit union!
Modeled after the CUNA Certified Financial Counselor School, FiCEP includes two parts of four learning modules each. When you successfully complete the proctored exams for both parts (eight total modules), you will be a Credit Union Certified Financial Counselor ready and able to assist your members reach their financial goals.
Learn at your own pace with these print-based modules:
FiCEP Part I, Modules 1-4
FiCEP Part II, Modules 1-4
Taxes, Insurance, and Investments (Module 1)
Controlling Living Expenses and Understanding Consumer Credit (Module 2)
Matching Values to Money (Module 3)
Retirement and Special Issues (Module 4)
Individual Modules: $70
Part 1 (includes Modules 1-4): $260
Part 2 (includes Modules 1-4): $260
Order by clicking the links above or calling 800-356-8010, press 3.
FiCEP Testing Procedures
FiCEP is a self-study program allowing students to pick a time and date for testing that best fits their busy schedule. Learn more about the proctored testing process.
Order Additional FiCEP Exams
The Certified Credit Union Financial Counselor (CCUFC) designation requires recertification every three years to ensure that your knowledge about financial counseling is current. Learn more about recertification options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not finding all of the answers to your questions? View our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.