Maurice Smith is the President of the Local Government Federal Credit Union. LGFCU is a financial cooperative that serves the financial needs of local government employees, appointed officials and elected officeholders in North Carolina’s local governments.
Maurice started his career in financial services as a loan officer for State Employees’ Credit Union in 1979. Maurice served in several capacities including vice president/city executive, vice-president of marketing and training. Maurice joined LGFCU in 1992 as the Executive Vice-President. Maurice was promoted to President in 1999.
Maurice received his Bachelors of Science in Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington in 1979. Maurice earned a Juris Doctorate from the NC Central University School of Law in 2005. Maurice is licensed to practice law in North Carolina and the District of Columbia.
Maurice achieved a NC Real Estate Brokers License, Certified Credit Union Executive Designation and attended several management and marketing schools.
Maurice has two children and lives in Cary, North Carolina with his wife, Diane. Their son, Ravelle, is a student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, while their daughter, Raven, is a student at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Maurice is a Deacon at Wake Chapel Church, Raleigh, North Carolina. Maurice participates in several community and civic activities.
Maurice professes a central mission in life. He holds that his purpose is to seek economic justice and improve the quality of life for consumers through access to financial education and services.
Memberships & Activities:
- Chairman, Board of Directors, NC Credit Union League
- Member, Board of Directors, NC Minority Support Center
- Member, Board of Directors Carolinas Credit Union Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Credit Union National Association
- Member, NC State Bar, Tenth Judicial District
- Member, US District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Member, United States Supreme Court Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, NC State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Governmental Affairs Committee, Credit Union National Association
- Member, Board of Directors, NCLM Local Leadership Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, NC School of Government Foundation
- Member, University of North Carolina at Wilmington Foundation
- Member, Filene Research Institute