MADISON, Wis. (12/26/13)--CUNA Mutual Group announced the schedule for its 2014 Credit Union Protection Webinars, which includes 11 risk management sessions for fidelity bond policyholders.
The one-hour webinars are conducted by CUNA Mutual Group risk management specialists. They address the top risks facing credit unions and how to mitigate losses.
"They are provided as a no-cost, value-added benefit for policyholders, who can participate without stepping away from their desk, or with their mobile device if they're on the go," said Theran Colwell, CUNA Mutual Group's director of credit union protection risk management.
Webinars begin at 10 a.m. CT, and conclude with live question-and-answer sessions.
Session topics and dates include:
- Managing the Risk of Payment Cards, Jan. 15--Losses involving payment cards pose significant challenges. This session will outline the most recent trends in card fraud, including the recent Target breach, and how to respond.
- Understanding Automated Clearing House (ACH) Risk, Feb. 19--ACH risks can be confusing and can vary with each type of electronic transaction. This session will describe emerging problems with online account takeover fraud and unauthorized origination of outgoing funds; risks of originating debits as deposits or loan payments; and operational issues for the receiver of fraudulent credits/debits.
- Uncover Hidden Lending Risks, March 19, Real-life losses and claim scenarios will prompt discussion of hidden lending risks and how to minimize impact on credit unions and members.
- Lessons Learned for Being Prepared, April 16--Disaster preparedness is critical to quickly and successfully recover from an unforeseen disaster. This session offers real-life credit union scenarios to best prepare for the unexpected.
- When Robberies and Violence Occur, May 21--From robberies gone awry to bullies in the workplace, financial institutions are not exempt from violent situations. This session will outline the challenges facing credit unions and responses for stressful situations that arise.
- Questions Your Supervisory Committee Should Ask, June 18--The Supervisory Committee ensures that proper financial processes, internal controls and risk identification methods are in place. This session provides the questions that should be asked to better protect the credit union.
- Employment Practices Trends and Increased Risks, July 16--Employee-related risks are among the most damaging exposures for credit unions, including financial losses and irreparable damage to an organization's reputation or brand. Sexual harassment, wrongful termination and discrimination will be discussed.
- ATM Risks--What You Don't Know Can Hurt You, Aug. 20--ATMs pose hidden challenges from fee notice signage, to Americans With Disabilities Act compliance, to continuing fraud. Understand the latest schemes, trends and key steps to help reduce ATM risk.
- Don't Wait to Address Employee Dishonesty and Internal Controls, Sept. 17-- "It won't happen to us." These famous last words often describe complacency that can lead to insufficient internal controls and correlating losses from dishonest employees.
- Mobile Banking Risks Knocking at Your Door, Oct. 22--With growing use of mobile device technology for shopping and financial transactions, credit unions must mitigate and protect against evolving risks.
- Risk Management "Around the Horn," Nov. 19--This roundtable of CUNA Mutual Group risk managers will provide insights on the hottest risk management issues and how to better protect against risk trends.
To register for the webinars, use the link.