MADISON, Wis. (3/18/14)--The CUNA Marketing and Business Development Council awarded seven Best of Show awards, including the Diamond Best of Show to Seattle-based BECU, during its annual conference last week in Orlando, Fla.
More than 1,130 entries were received for 29 categories. Seventy entries were named the best in their category, and 231 received Diamond Awards.
BECU, $11.9 billion in assets, won the Diamond Best in Show for its SHARE campaign, entered in the television (single and series) category. More than 50 members, both new and longtime, shared stories about their relationship and interactions with the Tukwila, Wash.-based credit union.
Other 2014 Best of Show honorees include:
- "Color" for brilliant use of art: Widget Financial FCU, Erie, Pa., $252 million in assets, won for its new name, logo and brand campaign, "Launch."
- "Cut" for most edgy: Financial Center CU, Stockton, Calif., $363 million in assets, was honored for "Eye Candy"--targeted auto loan postcards with Internet meme-styling, holograms and a bike-riding Santa.
- "Clarity" for most sentimental: Gesa CU, Richland, Wash., $1.2 billion in assets. The episodic nature of the wedding commercial series kept watchers waiting for the next installment of
- "Carat" for greatest impact: Directions CU, Sylvania, Ohio, $565 million in assets. The credit union teamed up with two local TV stations to develop a "Don't Text and Drive" pledge contest aimed at local high schools.
Two credit unions garnered awards for best use of humor: Taleris CU, Cleveland, $70 million in assets, used funny dogs to explain the credit union difference, while ORNL FCU, Oak Ridge, Tenn., $1.4 billion in assets, gained social media traction with its holiday video.
"This year, categories and submission procedures were enhanced; combined with the matrix scoring system established in 2013, the caliber of entries showed impressive advancement," said Nancy Hutchinson, chair, CUNA Marketing and Business Development Council Diamond Awards Committee, and senior vice president of marketing/business development, MPECU, Duluth, Minn.
Excellence in Marketing and Business Development awards, which recognize outstanding new marketing and business development approaches, also were announced at the conference. Winners were selected based on strategy, process, application and results.
Awards went to:
- FAA CU, Oklahoma City, $551 million in assets, for business development. Its credit score analysis program helped consumers evaluate their credit reports line by line in order to save money.
- Service 1st FCU, Danville, Pa., $224 million in assets, for community outreach and/or political advocacy: It committed to raising $35,000 for three local charities--Janet Weis Children's Hospital, SUNCOM Industries Inc. and the Montour Area Recreation Commission.
- American Airlines FCU, Fort Worth, Texas, $5.5 billion in assets, for its beta branded partner debit card, and Bellwether Community CU, Manchester, N.H., $387 million in assets, for its employee engagement with its new brand initiative.
For a complete list of CUNA Marketing and Business Development Council Awards, use the resource link.