ST. PAUL, Minn. (5/1/12)--The Family Involvement Council (FIC), a committee of the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation (MNCUF), awarded $12,000 in scholarships to 22 individuals for the 2012-2013 school year.
The scholarship program is the focus of FIC's mission to provide financial awareness to families and to further the education of Minnesota credit union members. Scholarship applicants submit information about their extra-curricular activities and accomplishments, and an essay on an FIC-selected topic.
Two $1,000 Harvey Bakke scholarships and 20 $500 scholarships were awarded this year to college students in traditional (high school seniors entering college) and non-traditional categories.
"We had a great response to our scholarship program this year, and the insightful responses to the essay question made it tough to choose our winners," said Bridget Moeller, FIC Chair. "The quality of applicants we have each year makes it clear that credit union members in Minnesota care about their education and the credit unions they belong to."
The winners of the $1,000 scholarships were Bobbi Seibert of Members Cooperative CU, Cloquet, in the traditional category, and Ann Anderson of Affinity Plus FCU, St. Paul, in the non-traditional category.
The winners of the $500 scholarships were:Traditional recipients
- Stephanie Besst, Electrus CU, Brooklyn Center;
- Annamarie Brennhofer, SPIRE FCU, Falcon Heights;
- Megan Hallstrom, Minnco CU, Cambridge;
- Bethany Leraas, Central Minnesota FCU, Melrose;
- Elizabeth Peterson, US FCU, Burnsville;
- Morgan Savage, Mayo EFCU, Rochester;
- Renee Schminkey, Greater Minnesota CU, Mora;
- Kristen Springman, Affinity Plus FCU, St. Paul;
- Skyler Vold, SouthPoint FCU, Sleepy Eye; and
- Brandon Vuong, Richfield (Minn.) Bloomington CU.
- Rachel Brixius, Central Minnesota FCU, Melrose;
- Angela Bury, General Mills FCU, Minnetonka;
- Katherine Ginkel, General Mills FCU;
- Eric Marshall, Great River FCU;
- Lindsay Ortlip, Hiway FCU, Saint Clound;
- Alex Reid, Collegeville Community CU, Saint Joseph;
- Elise Riveness, Hiway FCU, St. Paul;
- Austin Ruud, TopLine FCU, Maple Grove;
- William Schultze, Minnesota Valley FCU, Mankato; and
- Stefanie Skalicky, Greater Minnesota CU.
In their essays, applicants answered the question, "What impact has social media had on your financial decisions and how could credit unions use these tools to help you with your financial goals?"
Funds for the FIC's scholarship program are raised each year during the committee's silent auction, which is held during the Minnesota Credit Union Network's annual meeting and convention.