MADISON, Wis. (8/29/14)--CUNA Mutual Group's fifth annual, daylong Discovery Conference, scheduled for Oct. 15, offers 12 free credit union-focused sessions online.
The Discovery Conference is the Web-based equivalent of a face-to-face conference without the associated expenses or time away from the office. "The beauty of participating online is the convenience," said Christy LaMasney, manager of Discovery for CUNA Mutual Group. "It requires absolutely no travel, hotel or time away from the office, and it's free for everyone."
The conference offers live chats, networking opportunities, message boards, an exhibit hall and prizes. In addition, registration includes access to conference materials after the event is over.
John Lass, CUNA Mutual Group senior vice president of strategy and business development, is the keynote speaker. Lass will speak on how retail financial services could be disrupted by new technologies and business models, and what actions credit unions could take to mitigate the impact. In addition, the conference will feature several industry thought leaders:
- Ben Rogers, research director at Filene Research Institute, "Gen Y Personal Finances: A Crisis of Confidence and Capability;"
- James Robert Lay, president of CUGrow, "Digital Marketing for Business Development;"
- Gary Weuve, CUNA Brokerage Services vice president of the Center for Advisor Excellence, "The Rules of the Retirement Game Have Changed for Members--The Credit Union's Role;"
- Tim McAlpine, president of Currency Marketing, "Better Together: Uniting Marketing and IT for Success;"
- Steve Rick, CUNA Mutual Group chief economist, "U.S. Economic Outlook and Its Impact on Credit Unions;"
- Brad Keller, The Santa Fe Group senior vice president and program director, "Building and Maintaining an Effective Third Party Risk Program;"
- Theresa Reinke, CUNA Mutual Group compliance consultant, "TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures--It's a Whole New World;"
- Jay Isaacson, CUNA Mutual Group vice president of commercial products, "Cyber Exposures: Rules, Regs, and Risk;"
- Bryce Roth, co-founder of ChatterYak!, "What You Need to Know About Compliance and Social Media;"
- Steve Hoke, CUNA Mutual Group director of loan growth, "Exciting Trends in Auto Purchasing;"
- Stephen Arnold, CUNA Mutual Group vice president and direct-to-consumer business leader, and Eric Hallinan, senior consultant for MarshBerry, "The View from Here: An Eyes-Wide-Open Approach to Insurance Distribution Models;" and
- Chris Silveira, Guardian Analytics manager of fraud intelligence, "Mobile Banking: Trends, Threats, and Fraud Prevention Techniques."
Each thought-leader session will feature video, audio and a question-and-answer portion.
The online event is designed for CEOs and senior leadership teams of credit unions, but all credit union and league employees are welcome.
"Attendees can come and go from the conference as they please," said LaMasney. "This provides great flexibility to allow many staff members from the same organization to attend, if even for just a few hours."