NEW YORK (4/8/13)--Consumer debt is climbing--the latest Federal Reserve figures say debt is at nearly $2.8 trillion--but NerdWallet says consumers can get debt relief from credit unions.
"Many credit unions understand their members' debt problems and they want to help solve them," NerdWallet wrote in a blog entitled "Credit Union Debt Relief Programs."
"We've found credit unions nationwide that offer debt relief solutions ranging from debt management tools to free financial counseling, all in service to the improvement of your personal finances. Visit the nearest credit union branch to find the debt relief program that works best for you," said the blog.
The website lists 10 credit unions with special programs to help members:
- Arsenal CU, Arnold, Mo.;
- CommonWealth One FCU, Alexandria, Va.;
- Consumers CU, Kalamazoo, Mich.
- First CU, Chandler, Ariz.;
- Icon CU, Boise, Idaho;
- San Mateo CU, Redwood City,Calif.;
- PrimeWay FCU, Houston;
- United Advantage NW FCU, Portland, Ore.;
- Xceed Financial CU, El Segundo, Calif.; and
- UniWyo FCU, Laramie, Wyo.
The article devotes a paragraph to each credit union's specific programs. For the full article, use the link.