ALBANY, N.Y. (8/20/13)--The Credit Union Association of New York (CUANY) is sponsoring a campaign this week urging state credit unions to engage their staff and members in contacting Congress with the "Don't Tax My Credit Union" message.
To build additional awareness, a Don't Tax My Credit Union Rally will be held at CUANY headquarters in Albany Thursday. Beginning at 10:30 a.m. ET, credit unions leaders will speak about the importance of the credit union tax exemption.
Among the speakers are:
- William Mellin, CUANY president/CEO;
- Paula Stopera, president/CEO of CAP COM FCU, Albany;
- Curt Cecala, CEO of TCT FCU, Ballston Spa;
- Lucy Halstead, senior vice president/chief operating office of First New York FCU, Albany; and
- Michael Tobler, president/CEO of Albany (N.Y.) Firemen's FCU.
CUANY invited credit union professionals, volunteer leaders and members to attend.
The association has posted several resources on its website from campaign links to social media resources.
CUANY is also coordinating a statewide Don't Tax My Credit Union postcard campaign. Nearly 100 credit unions are collecting staff and member signatures on postcards to be hand-delivered by CUANY to the offices of U.S. Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.)