Feb. 20, 2014
CONTACT: Ben Fishel, CUNA Communications (202) 824-6294; email@example.com
CREDIT UNIONS GATHER IN RECORD NUMBERS
FOR ANNUAL WASHINGTON CONFERENCE
House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer,
Sen. Bob Corker, Sen. Mark Udall, Sen. Jon Tester, Rep. Darrell Issa,
Rep. James Clyburn, CFPB Deputy Director
Among those to address Credit Union Natl. Assn. Governmental Affairs Conference
WASHINGTON - House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD.), and Sens. Bob Corker (R-TN) and Mark Udall (D-CO) will be among those addressing a record number of 4,400 participants from credit unions in Washington next week (Feb. 23-27) at the Credit Union National Association's (CUNA) 2014 Governmental Affairs Conference.
The Governmental Affairs Conference is the credit union industry's largest national conference - this year the largest ever - with participants including credit union CEOs, staffs and volunteer board members from across the country. The event is held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW, Washington, DC ((202) 249-3000).
Others speaking at the event include Sen. John Tester (D-MT), of the Senate Appropriations and Senate Banking Committees, Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Rep. James Clyburn, assistant Democratic Leader and the Steve Antonakes, deputy director of the CFPB.
The event is sponsored by the Credit Union Natl. Assn. (CUNA), the nation's largest national credit union trade group, representing about 90% of the nation's more than 7,000 state and federally chartered credit union. Credit unions provide cooperatively owned financial services to 99 million Americans.
The conference features prominent speakers from Capitol Hill and the federal regulatory agencies, and also devotes time for the 4,400 credit union participants attending to go to Capitol Hill to visit the offices of their members of Congress.
Conference sessions get underway Monday, Feb. 24, and concludes on Wednesday, Feb. 26.
Following is the schedule of speakers for members of Congress, regulators and other officials (times are approximate); these sessions are all open to the press to cover:
Monday, Feb. 24, general session, Level 2/Hall E, Washington Convention Center
• 10:45 a.m. Debbie Matz, Chairman, National Credit Union Administration Board
• 1:30 a.m. Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN), Senate Banking Committee
Tuesday, Feb. 25 general session, Level 2 Hall E, Washington Convention Center:
• 8:30 a.m. Steve Antonakes, Deputy Director, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
• 8:45 a.m. Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
• 9:00 a.m. Jon Tester (D-MT), Senate Banking Committee
• 9:15 a.m. Dan Maffei (D-NY), House Committee on Armed Services
• 9:45 a.m. Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-CA), House Ways and Means Committee
• 9:50 a.m. Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick (D-AZ), House Committee on Transportation
• 10:15 a.m. Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) Chairman of House Oversight Committee
• 10:30 Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) House Majority Whip
• 11:30 a.m. Rep. John Larson (D-CT) House Ways and Means Committee
• 11:45 Rep. Sander Levin (D-MI) House Ways and Means Committee
Wednesday, Feb. 26 general session, Level 2 Hall E, Washington Convention Center:
• 8:30 a.m. Rep. Peter King (R-NY), Financial Services Committee
• 8:45 a.m. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
• 9:00 a.m. Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO), House Financial Services Committee
• 9:10 a.m. Rep. Steve Stivers (R-OH), House Financial Services Committee
• 9:15 a.m. Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO), Senate Committee on Armed Services
• 9:30 a.m. Rep. Bruce Braley (D-IA), House Committee on Oversight
• 9:45 a.m. Rep. Derek Kilmer (D-WA), House Committee on Armed Services
• 10:00 a.m. Rep. Brad Sherman (D-CA), House Financial Services Committee
• 10:10 a.m. Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC), Assistant Democratic Leader
• 10:15 Rep. Denny Heck (D-WA), House Financial Services Committee
• 10:30 a.m. Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD), House Minority Whip
• 10:35 a.m. Rep. Patrick Tiberi (R-OH), House Ways and Means Committee
• 10:45 a.m. Sen. Mark Begich (D-AK), Senate Committee on Appropriations
To register as press or for a complete GAC program schedule, contact Ben Fishel (firstname.lastname@example.org, cell: 202-641-0652) or Pat Keefe (email@example.com, cell: 202-403-4065, office: 202-508-6765), in CUNA Communications.