We are building an authentically diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where every person feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and can reach their potential.
- DEI was added as the eighth cooperative principle of America’s credit unions by CUNA’s board of directors, as well as added into CUNA’s organization strategy, including a mission, vision, and set of goals.
- We created ERGs and DEI book clubs enabling employees to connect, find support, and continue learning.
- We are centering employee voices and diverse perspectives through a cross-enterprise 12-person DEI Advisory Group, which meets regularly to review and guide our DEI efforts, and ERG groups whose members represent more than 60 percent of staff.
- Established Inclusive as a core value, defined by employees as "We strive—every day—to create a workplace where everyone feels they belong, are respected and valued." Leadership and staff are expected to demonstrate our core values daily and are held accountable via their performance evaluation.
- We hold regular heritage, cultural, and identity-based events to raise awareness and build a culture of inclusion and belonging and create allies across the organization.
- To embed DEI across the enterprise, we developed a DEI Lens and are in the process of training staff and leadership on how to use it in decision-making, planning, and budgeting.
- Co-created a set of ground rules we use at the start of all our DEI or EEG sessions to create a brave space for folks to participate.
- We completed a baseline assessment of our culture, policies, and practices to identify bias and are implementing a plan to disrupt bias in our policies and practices.
- We regularly measure our progress through staff surveys and analysis of staff representation.
- Co-created a living glossary of terminology and DEI guidelines for the use of images.
- Created and staffed a DEI Department to lead our efforts internally and externally.
And we have much more in the works!